Chatel - Portes du Soleil
- Incredible 650km of piste
- 12 Linked Swiss & French Resorts
- Maximum Altitude 2400m
- 89 Mountain Resturants
- 200 ski lifts - 1 hands free lift pass!
- Huge range of other activities
- English speaking ski schools
- 10 Snowparks
- Superb On & Off Piste
- Only 90 minutes from Geneva
- A resort for all ages and abilites
- Superb Forme d'O Aquatic Centre
Back in 1947 the first ski lift was installed in Chatel which was the start of what was to become one of the most exciting places to visit for a winter holiday. Huge investment in new lifts, pistes, resturants, bars and activities over the following 65 years has seen Chatel grow into a very special winter ski resort and one of the best ski areas in the world. Whilst the ski resort has continued to develop every effort has been made to protect and respect all local traditions and cultures to ensure Chatel also remains a traditional Savoyard farming village and this is just one of the reasons it is such a special place.
Situated right in the heart of the Portes Du Soleil in the Northern Alps between Lake Geneva and Mont Blanc, the Chatel ski area offers a great variety of skiing and snowboarding and is surrounded by other French and Swiss ski resorts that make up the Portes Du Soleil. This is one of the largest interlinked ski areas in the world with a great snow record. From mid November to the end of April an average of 8 metres of powder falls every year. Check out the ski area and piste maps in more detail....
Around Chatel you will find a large selection of great restaurants offering a variety of menus styles, a wide range of bars with live music throughout the season and also many sports shops selling all the equipment you will need for your holiday plus perfect gifts to take back home. Chatel also now has a superb indoor and outdoor swimming pool, spa and fitness centre open all year round.
Other Activities To Try!
Chatel and the Portes du Soleil is not just about skiing and snowboarding, many of our guests that come back year after year enjoy trying out new activities both on and away from the piste. There is also plenty to do for non skiers during the winter. Here is just a selection of the wide range of other activities to enjoy during the winter in Chatel:
- Swimming - Forme d'O Aquatic Centre offers indoor and outdoor pools, spa and fitness area, open all year round
- Snowshoeing - Explore over 80km of trails giving a different view of the mountain, guided or self guided walks available.
- Snake-Gliss & Airboard - Try out the latest craze to fly down the piste in the evenings.
- Sledging Area - 3 great sledging areas for all ages to enjoy
- Tandem Paragliding - take a tandem flight, a unique experience!
- Fishing & Ice Diving - In the depths of winter you can still fish for trout or make a hole in the ice and go diving!
- Ice skating - Near Lac Vonnes
- Night Skiing - Ski under the stars on the floodlit stadium with music
- Well-being & Relaxation - Centres offering steam rooms, saunas, massage, physiotherapy,
- Bowling Centre - 4 computerised lanes, pool tables and bar, open 5pm till late
- Nightclub - Open every evening during the season
- Cinemas - Chatel has 2 cinemas offering a different film every day.
Winter 2016 / 17 Events
There are a number a great events that take place during the winter season for everyone to enjoy.
- Christmas & New Year - various events and our traditional New Years Eve firework display.
- Les Neiges Etoilees - the gastronomy event of the season, culinary challenge featuring some of the best local chefs
- International Snowsports Competitions - Watch some of the top skiers during competitions during January and March
- RazorSnowBike - Mountain biking on snow, a great event as a spectator or rider!
- Rock The Pistes Festival - 5th year of this great music festival with 20 acoustic concerts around the mountain.
- Spring Concert - An annual event to end the season.